When will DirectXTex be Windows Phone 8 compatible ?

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Coming from XNA, I stumbled across this fantastic project but after spending some time to try using it, it doesn't seem to be available for WP8, there's no project to reference against for this platform.

Will it be available anytime soon ?

Thank you.

Best regards

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Edited Dec 27, 2012 at 7:43 AM

In general DirectXTex requires WIC, and WIC is not available on the Windows Phone 8 platform. A subset of the library could be made to work without WIC, but currently there's not much value in the library overall. If you have a specific set of functionality you think is important to run directly on the WP8 platform, please provide more details.

The DirectXTex library generates .DDS files which most certainly can be used by Windows Phone 8 projects, assuming you are using formats that are supported by Feature Level 9.3

Note that DirectXTK is explicitly supported on Windows Phone 8, with a few functions excluded due to the lack of support for WIC. That library is the recommended way to load DDS files, screengrab to DDS files, etc. on WP8.

PS: The Dual-use Coding Techniques for Games article has been updated with notes about WP8 as well.

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

You're right, actually I thought I'd need it but DirectXTK will be enough for my issue.
(I was trying to get hold of texture dimensions)

Thanks for the last link, very informative !