Retiring Windows Store apps for Windows 8.0 support

Coordinator
Nov 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Now that Windows 8.1 has released and the focus is on migrating to Windows Store apps for Windows 8.1 using the VS 2013 toolset, the question is when should we retire support for VS 2012 and Windows Store apps for Windows 8 for DirectXTex?

Adoption rates for Windows 8.1 have been very high as a 'free' update since its release, and most folks targeting Windows Store should be looking to migrate for newer applications. As such, I was thinking we'd retire Windows Store apps for Windows 8.0 support for DirectXTex starting in April 2014.

Any feedback on this suggested timing? If not then, when?

Migrating your Windows Store app to Windows 8.1

Retarget your Windows Store app to Windows 8.1

PS: We would of course continue to support using VS 2012 to build Win32 desktop applications. At some point we'll retire VS 2010 support, but that is likely to be some ways off...

PPS: At some point we will start requiring the Windows 8.x SDK rather than support the legacy DirectX SDK for building DirectXTex (i.e. dropping the "Desktop_2010" projects in favor of the "Desktop_2010_SDK8x" projects). See this thread.
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Note there is a related thread for the DirectX Tool Kit
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM
As we approach a year since my first post on this, are there any folks who actively need the DirectXTex projects for Windows Store for Windows 8.0, or can we just ship DirectXTex projects for Windows Store for 8.1 and have everyone covered?